Friday, January 4, 2013

Book Review: Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots #1)

Author: V.K. Sykes
Published: March 2012

Summary: Baseball reporter Maddie Leclair has spent years chasing her dream job—covering the major league team, the Philadelphia Patriots. Now that she’s landed the assignment she intends to make it big, with feature articles on the front page of every sports section in the country. But to do that, she needs to score an interview with the most private and elusive athlete in baseball, Patriots’ superstar Jake Miller.

On the rebound from a devastating injury that knocked him out of play for a season, Jake has a lot to prove to the suits in the head office. He’s sure he still has what it takes to win, and he’ll be damned if he lets anything get in the way of his climb back to the top of the charts.

The last thing Jake needs is a pushy female reporter distracting him. But one look at Maddie and he knows he’s in trouble. He finds himself trying for a different kind of play, one that involves bedrooms and not baseball stats. Sleeping together could damage both their careers, and Maddie is all about saying no. But when it comes to the game of love, Jake is playing to win. - Goodreads




Review:  First off, I was wondering why this book has a later published date than book #2?  Typo? Hmm....? Anyway...

A few days ago, I was on Amazon, and bought, Hardball (Philidelphia Patriots #2), and really enjoyed it.  When I found out there was a book 1, I immediately purchased it on Amazon.  This story was interesting, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.  I felt like there was something lacking.  Possibly the romance?  I mean, there's no doubt that Maddie & Jake had "chemistry," (or a chemical reaction, hehee) but I felt like it lacked romance between the two leads.  I did enjoy the scene at the golf tournament, but I wish the author gave us more romance and dialogue between the two.  

The ending of this book is what annoyed me.  It was a little too cliche being taken by the bookie to the Italian District.  Also, really? Two superstar baseball players taking on a bookie and his bodyguard?  They all would have been murdered if that happened in an area where gangsters and mobs hung out.

Another thing that annoyed me was when Maddie was going to talk to her Editor about the whole Jake and Robbie situation.  Really, Maddie!? Why the heck would you risk YOUR life and Jake's life?!  I know it was because of ethics, but come on!  She should have just told Robbie to deal with his own shit and not take Jake down with him.  Now, I understand where Jake was coming from in all this.  He wanted to help out a friend.  Anyone, even Nate, would have given the money to Robbie.  He should have had his lawyers draw up some legal documents and then keep everything hush hush.  I must admit, Jake was naive when it came to Robbie, so I'm glad Maddie told him Robbie was using him.  I'm glad she stuck up for her man, but threatening to go to her editor and write about Robbie and Nazarian was just stupid as fuck.

I know it seems like I hated the book, but in all honesty, I didn't.  I enjoyed the middle of the book, up until the end.  The epilogue was cute, and I wish the readers got more insight on how the management dealt with their relationship, and how they fought to keep their jobs without letting go of one another.

If you're into stories about athletes and women, I'd recommend this book, but if you're looking for a good story line, I wouldn't.  Between this book and Hardball, I'd definitely recommend Hardball.

No comments:

Post a Comment